Kanabec County Courthouse History (full history here)
The courthhouse is a beige brick, Romanesque building, featuring a prominent 4-story center tower. The courthouse sits on a stone foundation. Arched windows and doorways with brown sandstone sills lend distinction. The eaves were built with unusual corbelled brick and the corners of the tower are decorated with tourelles. Hardwood floors and oak balusters lead to the second-floor courtrooms. The courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (see listing here).
Kanabec County History Center (visit website here)
The main facility contains an exhibition hall, climate controlled storage areas, reference library, conference room, gift shop and office space. The Coin School, constructed in 1898, now serves as a rental facility and hosts Rock-A-Thon each February. It is also available for meeting use and other community classes. The one-room Whittier Schoolhouse is used for Old Tyme Country School classes each summer. The facility hosts artistic, historic, educational and cultural events. The Center also offers workshops for adults throughout the year. The collection includes an excellent cross-section of items relevant to the county's history.