Information for Providers

Child Care Information For Providers

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a license? Anyone who cares for children needs to be licensed, unless:

  • The children are related to the child care provider (limited to parent, grandparent, brother, sister, stepparent, stepsister, stepbrother, uncle, aunt, niece or nephew);
  • The children are from one unrelated family; or
  • The care is for less than 30 days in any 12 month period

Do I have to pay a fee to become licensed? KCFS charges a $100 background study fee, and a $50 initial licensing fee. These fees are due before any paperwork will be processed. Providers who choose to be open more than 18 hours per week during non-standard hour care (other than Monday – Friday, 6am – 6pm) are exempt from paying the fee.

Additionally, some providers will be required to have a fire marshal inspection. This fee is $50. Also, providers who have well water will need to pay to have their water tested annually. Licensed providers are also required to obtain certain health and safety equipment in their home (smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, first aid kit, etc).
What are the training requirements?

  • At all times, there must be someone in the home with current CPR/1st Aid Training
  • Sudden Unexpected Infant Death Training is required before anyone cares for an infant – training needs to be repeated every other year
  • Abusive Head Trauma Training is required before anyone cares for children under schoolage – training needs to be repeated every other year
  • Child Passenger Restraint Training is required before transporting children age 9 and under – training needs to be repeated every 5 years
  • Child Growth and Development and Behavior Guidance Training – 4 hours is required initially, 2 hours required annually.  Trainings that meet Knowledge and Competency Framework I or IIc are accepted for this training
  • Supervising for Safety Training – 6 hours required initially, 2 hours annually
  • Health and Safety I and II – required every 5 years.  May be a substitute for 2 hours of annual Supervising for Safety training
  • 16 hours of training is required annually

Where can I obtain training?

  • Many trainings can be located through Develop 
  • CPR/1st Aid Trainings may be found locally through hospitals or community education departments.
  • Child Passenger Restraint Trainings may be found through Develop or the Department of Public Safety 
  • SUID/AHT videos are required to be viewed on the year that training is not completed. 

Will I need to have a fence? The need for a fence will be determined by the licensor at your home visit. Most often, fences are required for water hazards, road hazards, railroads, and/or machinery hazards.
What documentation do I need for substitute and assistant caregivers? All caregivers will need a background study. There are additional requirements for training and health. Please refer to the Caregiver Requirements 

>Rules and Regulations Family Child Care is governed by many Minnesota Statutes and Rules. These may be found on the Office of Revisor of Statues website. Family Child Care Rule 9502  Human Services Licensing Act  Human Services Background Studies 

>Forms for Licensed Providers

Health and Safety Resources