Child Protection and Welfare

Kanabec County Child Protection and Child Welfare

How do I report abuse or neglect?
Call Kanabec County Family Services at 320-679-6350 or the Kanabec County Sheriff's Office at 320-679-8400.  You can also click here for a form to report the suspected maltreatment of a child.

If you or someone else are in immediate danger, call 911.

Reporting Abuse

  • If you believe a child is in IMMINENT DANGER (such as a recent sexual assault or a serious physical assault) or the child has been abandoned CALL 911.
  • To report suspected abuse or neglect of a child living in Kanabec County during the regular business hours of 8 am-4:30pm, Monday-Friday, please call 320-679-6350.
  • To make a report after hours, including weekend and holidays, please call the non-emergency Kanabec County Sheriff's Office number 320-679-8400.
  • Please be prepared to report the child's name, age, and address or school, the reason for the report and any other pertinent information you may have.  If known, report the alleged offender and the relationship with the child, parent's names, addresses and a telephone number.
  • Reports may also be made by printing the Child Maltreatment form and fax it to 320-679-6351.
Voluntary/Mandated Reporting
  • Anyone may voluntarily report suspected child abuse or neglect.  Persons who work with children and/or families are legally required (see below) to report suspected child abuse or neglect.
Mandated Reporting
  • Minnesota law mandates that any person whose job involves working professionally with children and who has reason to believe that a child is being neglected or physically or sexually abused shall immediately report the suspected incident to local police or child protection agency.  A verbal report must be made within 24 hours and a written report within 72 hours.  For more information on mandated reporting, please read A Resource Guide for Mandated Reporters.
When a Child Reports Abuse
  • Most importantly, be calm.  Let the child tell you in his or her own words.  Leave questioning about details to authorities.  Tell the child he/she is not in trouble and that it was the right thing to tell you about what happened.  Let the child know you are going to get help.  Report what the child told you to the police and/or Kanabec County Child Protection.
Liability and Anonymity
  • Under Minnesota law, you are immune from liability if your report was made in good faith.  If a report to authorities is made in good faith, Minnesota Statute 626.556, Subd.,4, protects you with immunity from liability.  Your identity is not disclosed unless you consent, or the Court orders disclosure upon a showing the report was false and made in bad faith, or the court rules require disclosure in a criminal proceeding.
Additional Resources:

MN Department of Human Services: Child Protection
National Foundation for Abused and Neglected Children
Prevent Child Abuse America
Prevent Child Abuse Minnesota
Safe Place Minnesota
Stop it Now!