How to Apply
We highly encourage you to visit the U.S. Department of State's website to obtain the most current and complete information for obtaining or renewing a passport. The U.S. Department of State's website is also an invaluable travel resource; relaying the most up to date information on travel warnings, helpful information for international travel and so much more.
You may also contact the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 or 1-877-874-7793 (TDD/TTY) for current information, questions or to schedule an appointment at a Processing Facility for immediate/emergency travel.
You will need to schedule an appointment with our office to process your passport application.
Please call 320-679-6430 to do so.
You will need to bring at least the following items, along with the appropriate fees:
- Application Form (you may complete and print the form on-line through the US Department of State's website or complete an application at our office)
- Picture ID (driver's license, military identification, etc.) and copy of picture ID front and back on the same page.
- Certified Birth Certificate (certified by your birth state's Office of Vital Records, not the souvenir certificate from the hospital with your foot prints on it), and copy of the Certified Birth Certificate.
- One passport photo (must meet passport regulations) We can take the photo at our office.
- Black Ink pen for completing and signing application
- Fees: You will need two checks/money orders. One to the US Department of State for the passport, and one to Kanabec County for processing the application. Kanabec County will also accept cash or debit/credit cards for the processing; the US Department of State will not.
- These are the minimum requirements; other documentation may be required depending on applicant's situation.