The Kanabec County Attorney's Office includes Barbara McFadden, County Attorney, along with experienced, professional staff including three Assistant County Attorneys, three legal assistants and a victim services coordinator.
It is the mission of the Kanabec County Attorney's Office to serve our community and make it a safer and better place to live and work. We are committed to working for justice, public safety and the protection of the rights of the people and businesses of Kanabec County.
Duties of the County Attorney's Office include:
• Prosecution of crimes that occur within Kanabec County
• Prosecution of juvenile offenses that occur within Kanabec County
• Provide legal counsel to the County Board of Commissioners and other Court departments
• Responsible authority for government data practices
• Initiation of actions to protect abused and neglected children and vulnerable adults, and mentally ill or chemically dependent adults
•Provide crime victim services, including court notifications and information/resource referrals and other support in the criminal justice process
• Collaboration with law enforcement and other agencies to provide crime prevention initiatives that help create a healthy and safe community
• The County Attorney and staff are not permitted to represent or provide legal advice to private citizens.
• The County Attorney’s Office does not investigate crimes. All complaints of criminal activity need to be reported to law enforcement at the Kanabec County Sheriff’s Office, who then gather the evidence and, when appropriate, submit the case to the County Attorney’s Office for review and a charging decision.
If you are the victim of a crime, click our Victim Services brochure for more information, or contact our Victim/Witness Coordinator, Cheryl Terhaar, for more information.
Fax: (320) 679-6426