Financial Resources for Kanabec County Small Businesses Affected by COVID-19
1) SBA's Paycheck Protection Program (PPP): Kanabec County small businesses must apply for the PPP through an approved SBA 7(a) lender. When you visit the PPP site, click on "Find a Lender" for a list of eligible/local PPP lenders. Please email Heidi at firstname.lastname@example.org, leave a message at 320-209-5031 or call 320-515-1674 for help.
2) SBA's Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL): Kanabec County small business must apply for EIDL loans directly on this SBA site. Apply ASAP and online between 7:00pm and 7:00am. If you experience technical difficulties with the online application, check your browser. Applicants have reported trouble while using Chrome. For questions about the application process, please email Heidi at email@example.com, leave a message at 320-209-5031 or call 320-515-1674.
1) MN Dept. of Employment & Economic Development (DEED)'s Small Business Emergency Loan: Eligible Kanabec County small businesses must apply through NCEDA. Before applying, please visit the DEED link above and click the "Eligibility" tab to see if your business is eligible for this program. Applications won't be considered if ineligible.
2) Minnesota Unemployment Insurance Program: Employees of small businesses in Kanabec County must apply online directly through the this link. Employees must apply on the below day of the week per the last digit of his or her Social Security Number (SSN). See the chart below:
|Last Digit of SSN#||Day of Week||Time|
|0, 1 or 2||Monday||6am to 8pm|
|3, 4 or 5||Tuesday||6am to 8pm|
|6, 7, 8 or 9||Wednesday||6am to 8pm|
|Any||Thursday||6am to 8pm|
|Any||Friday||6am to 8pm|
Call centers are reserved for Minnesotans who are digitally disconnected, or who need language support. Only call this number if you fall into those two groups: 1-877-898-9090.
3) Minnesota Small Business Loan Guarantee Program: Kanabec County small businesses must apply for assistance through lenders that are enrolled in the program. That list of lenders should be available soon. Please email Heidi at firstname.lastname@example.org, leave a message at 320-209-5031 or call 320-515-1674 if you want to be notified when that list is available.
4) MN Dept. of Human Services's Peacetime Emergency Child Care Grants: Applications for the 2nd round of funding are being accepted through May 12th at 5pm. Kanabec County family childcare providers must apply directly at this link on Child Care Aware's Website.
5) MN Dept. of Revenue's Sales & Use Tax Payment Extension: As Minnesota contines to respond to COVID-19, the MN Dept. of Revenue is extending the grace period on Sales & Use Tax payments to May 20, 2020, for businesses identited of Executive Order 20-04.
1) City of Mora EDA COVID-19 Emergency Assistance Fund: This is a temporary program to provide emergency assistance to commercial businesses affected by COVID-19. The COVID-19 Emergency Assistance Fund (EAF) will provide up to $80,000 in loans and $10,000 in grants to businesses located in city limits. The maximum loan amount per business is $4,000 at 0% interest for 24 months. Grants will be awarded at $500 per business. Businesses are eligible to apply for a loan or grant, but not both. Loans and grants will be reviewed and awarded on a first-come first-served basis and must be complete to be considered. Please email Beth Thorp or call 320-515-2085 at the City of Mora for more information about this fund.
2) Kanabec County EDA COVID-19 Micro Loan Fund: This is a 0% interest short-term (24 months) micro loan (up to $2,000) for commercial businesses affected by Governor Walz's Executive Orders 20-04 and 20-08. Loans applications will be considered on a first-come first-served basis. Please contact Heidi Steinmetz at email@example.com, 320-209-5031 or 320-515-1674 with questions.
3) Initiative Foundation's Emergency Child Care Grant Program: The funds for this program have been depleted, however the MN Dept. of Human Services has created new "Peacetime Child Care Grants" that you can apply for here through Child Care Aware.
*Here is a link to DEED's Website with information for employers and businesses in response to COVID-19 .*
As of 3/17/2020, all Kanabec County buildings & facilities are restricted to the public until further notice. Only limited access to court services, public health & family services will be permitted. EDA business will be conducted online, by phone, by email and U.S. Mail. Other ways to reach the EDA include Twitter & Facebook. Until further notice, EDA meetings will be held online via Zoom. Members of the public who want to attend EDA meetings via Zoom should request each Zoom meeting ID or call in phone number from EDA staff. See staff's contact information below:
EDA Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00am to 4:30pm
EDA Staff: Heidi Steinmetz
Office Phone: 320-209-5031
Mobile Phone: 320-515-1674
Welcome to the Kanabec County EDA's, Website! Kanabec County is located in East Central Minnesota, just over an hour drive north of the Twin Cities Metro area. The County seat (Mora, Minnesota) is located at the crossroads of Minnesota State Highways 65 and 23. Kanabec County is home to two city-owned industrial parks (Mora Industrial Park and Braham Industrial Park). If you are a manufacturing company looking to expand, along with staff from the cities of Mora and Braham, we will help you fin the perfect lot.
Kanabec County is well-known for hosting Vasaloppet USA each Feburary, which is the largest cross-country ski race in Minnesota! Other attractions in Kanabec County include the Nordic Center, Ogilvie Raceway and Ann River Winery. There is an excellent hospital in Kanabec County, Welia Health, which is located in Mora on Hwy 65.
Contact us today to learn more about Kanabec County. We are here to help existing and new small businesses thrive in our community!
Kanabec County Courthouse
18 North Vine Street, #101
Mora, MN 55051