Military Discharge Records


After an individual separates from military service, they receive a DD 214 (military separation form.)
The military service organizations strongly suggest recording the form to ensure easy availability of
a certified copy of this document if the original were to become lost or destroyed. Upon recording of
discharge paper the office will furnish free certified copies to filer.

There is no charge for the recording of the DD 214 forms. If you have lost or misplaced your military
separation form and need a certified copy, and you did not record your DD 214 form in our office, you
need to contact your local branch of the veteran's administration for assistance. Our office only has
records of DD 214 forms that have been submitted to us for recording by the veterans themselves.

Military Discharge Records became private as of January 2004 pursuant to Minnesota Statute 196.08.
Only the veteran, certain family members, and the Veterans Service Officer can request this information.
Learn more at the Kanabec County Veterans Services page.