We are processing passport applications and passport photos by appointment only.
Please call 320-679-6430 to schedule your appointment.

The Auditor/Treasurer's Office is a Passport Acceptance Facility for new passports, passports that expired more than five (5) years ago, were issued to a minor, or passports that have been lost, stolen or damaged. We are available to process passport applications by appointment only, Monday thru Friday. We do not actually create the passports in our office, but accept applications, supporting documents, fees etc. to be sent to the Passport Processing Facility.

Both Parents are required to complete the application with the minor child so please make accommodations for your other minor children to be supervised while we are processing the applications.

There are two products available for a passport:
U.S. Passport Book: This is the most common type of passport requested. The U.S. passport book is used to enter the United States from any international land border crossing, sea ports-of-entry and travel by air. The book is valid for ten (10) years for ages 16 and older, five (5) years for minors under 16 years of age.

U.S. Passport Card: The U.S. passport card is used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air. The card is smaller and less expensive than a passport book. The card is valid for ten (10) years for ages 16 and older, five (5) years for minors under 16 years of age.

What to bring with you:
Bring completed application or come early for your appointment to allow time to complete it. (approx 20 min)
Black Ink Pen for completing and signing the application.  It must be black ink.

Passport Photos:  
Bring passport photos with you if you had them taken elsewhere.
Kanabec County can also take the passport photos for a $12 fee. 
A few suggestions to follow so as to avoid having your photo rejected by the Department of State:
No Camouflage clothing
No Headwear

Documentation: (this is the basic, your history may require more)
Bring certified birth certificate and a copy of certified birth certificate.
Bring driver's license and copy of driver's license front and back of license on the same side of page.
We can make your copies, but there will be a $1 charge for each copy starting November 12, 2019

Payment to the US Department of State for the passport must be in the form of a check or money order.
Payment to Kanabec County for processing fee, photos, and copies can be in the form of check, money order, cash, or debit/credit card; but please be aware that there is a fee to process debit/credit cards.  
These payments cannot be on one check. 

Passport fees image

Passports are taking approximately six to eight weeks to process.
If your travel plans require a passport sooner than that, there are other options available to you to expedite your passport. Please note that this will also increase the overall prices of the passport. The fee to expedite is an additional $60. Expedited passports are taking approximately two to three weeks to process.

Please be advised that the Passport Processing Facility is the final adjudicator of your passport. While we strive to ensure you are submitting all of the required and appropriate documentation, you may be asked to submit additional or different documentation to support your passport application. Please respond promptly and directly to the Passport Processing Facility for all requests for additional documentation.

Renew a Passport
The U.S. Department of State requires you to renew your passport by mail if it meets eligibility requirements. If your passport is eligible for renewal by mail, you cannot renew in our office. Our office can supply a renewal application and take a photo. If you cannot renew by mail, you will need to start the process all over by following the above steps.

For further information or to complete an application online, go to If completing the application online, please print single pages and not back-to-back.